• Schooner
  • 60ffw
  • 100ft Length
  • Amherst Island, Lake Ontario
  • N 44′ 08.865 W 76’47.625

Location of Wreck: N 44′ 08.865 W 76’47.625 North Side
Mooring: Yes

Davis Swayze Great Lakes Shipwreck File #

Other names:  none     Official no.: C75912
Type at loss:  schooner, wood
Build info:  1878, W. Jamieson, Deseronto, Ont
Specs  :  100x25x9  143 gt
Date of loss:  1923, May 15
Place of loss:  off N side of Amherst Island Lake: Ontario
Type of loss:  storm
Loss of life:  none
Carrying:  hard coal
Detail: She began to leak heavily in a storm, was abandoned by her crew, and sank. Bound from Oswego.
One of the last working schooners on the Great Lakes when lost. Owned by Wm. Savage of Kingston.
Wreckage located by divers about 1970.

List of Vessels on the Registry of the Dominion of Canada on December 31, 1902 #

Date of Certificate: H. B. Rathbun & Sons June 25th. 1878
Description of Vessel: Masts: Two Decks: One      
How Rigged: Schooner      
Standing or Running Bowsprit: no entry      
Square or Round Stern: Square Figure-head: None      
Carvel or Clinker Built: Carvel      
Surveyor: Geo. Elliot Length: 100 feet Breadth: 25.4 feet       Depth of Hold: 8.6 feet Subscribing Owners:- John McLelland & Wm. Cann both of Bowmanville and David Galbraith of Whitby all equal owners with 21 & 1/3 share they sold to Mary Savage of Picton, late wife of James Savage, dated Aug. 22, 1905, and priced at $I,800, she sold to Chancy Daryaw of Kingston a mariner dated May 28, 1908.
NOTATIONS Registry transferred to Whitby July 25, 1885, Official Canadian Number 75912 Registry closed and transferred to Kingston Feb. 6, 1908 at 5 p.m. Wm. JAMISON sunk by leaking north of Amherst Island, May 15, 1923. 550 tons of coal as cargo. Capt. McManus & crew safe after abandoning the vessel. (penciled in by register) Port of Whitby

Shipping Register National Archives, Ottawa #

Schooner WILLIAM JAMIESON. Official Canada No. 75912. Of 143 tons Register. Built at Mill Point, Ont., in 1878. Homeport, Whitby, Ont. 100.0 x 25.4 x 8.6 Owned by D. Galbraith, M. O. of Whitby, Ont.      

List of Vessels on the Registry of the  Dominion of Canada on December 31, 1902 #

SHIP BEACHED IN GALE. Picton, May 15. — The schooner WILLIAM JAMIESON, Captain Patrick McManus, bound for this port, loaded with coal, was beached in the Bay of Quinte, in the gale which swept lower Lake Ontario today. Thee crew are all safe.       From the Collection of C. Patrick Labadie

JAMISON, WM. (1878, Schooner) Also known as JAMIESON, WILLIAM Year of Build: 1878 Official Number: 75912 CONSTRUCTION AND OWNERSHIP Built at Millpoint (Deseronto), ONT Vessel Type: Schooner Note: Square stern, carvel built. Number of Decks: 1 Builder Name: H.B. Rathburn & Sons Original Owner and Location: John McLelland et al, Bowmanville, ONT. Ownership Notes: William Cann, Bowmanville. David Galbraith, Whitby, ONT. POWER Number of Masts: 2DIMENSIONS Length: 100′ Beam: 24.4′ Depth: 8.6′ Tonnage (gross): 143.77 Capacity: 11,000 bushels.
Final Location:
Off Amherst Island, ONT. Lake Ontario.
Date: 15 May 1923 How: Sank. Final Cargo: Hard coal. Notes:  Began leaking heavily in a storm, abandoned by crew & sank; bound from Oswego. One of the last working schooners on Lakes when lost. One of the last working schooners on Lakes when lost. 1895, Jul 14 Returned Port Colbornes, ONT, due to broken mainmast & headgear.
1902, Sep 14 Damaged in a gale, Long Point.
1905, Aug 22 Owned Mary Savage, Picton, ONT.
1908, May 28 Owned Chancy Daryaw, Kingston, ONT.
1916, Oct 17 In distress, Lake Ontario.
1923, May 15 Sank in a storm off Amherst Island, Lake Ontario.
c.1970 Wreck reportedly located.

 

Toronto Globe Wednesday, May 16, 1923 #

COAL VESSEL IS SUNK Kingston May I6.– Battered by the heavy wind and waves of Monday night the schooner JAMIESON of Picton, sprang a leak at the outer Ducks and attempting to run through the ‘gap’ to safety went down in 40 feet of water in the Upper Gap, about 2 miles off Amherst Island.       A heavy squall came up and the vessel sprung a leak and the mast broke away. The members of the crew, were in addition to Captain Savage, Captain McManus, part owner with Captain Savage; Richard Woodcock and Chalmer Hafkeil (.?), deckhands and Mrs. Michael Tierney, cook, all belonging to Picton. They succeeded in reaching land in the ships lifeboat after a hazardous struggle      

Toronto GLOBE  Thursday, May 17, 1923 #

KINGSTON DIVERS LOCATE “WILLIAM JAMIESON”      

May I5th, 1923, the fore `n’ after schooner Wm. JAMIESON was lost off the north shore of Amherst Island, under the command of Patrick McManus, Picton.  She was riding low in the water with some 550 tons of hard coal out of Oswego when she began to leak while nearing the Main Duck Island.  Captain McManus ordered his four-man crew and woman cook to abandon the sinking vessel, and they managed to get into the lifeboat minutes before the ship disappeared below the surface of the lake with its cargo of coal.      

Mrs. Moreen O’Neil of Picton, daughter of Captain McManus, remembers her father’s blistered hands when he came home. A sister of Mrs. O’Neil, is Mrs. Fred Juby, of Picton, who survives the captain of the ill-fated vessel.  Mr. W. H. Hall of Bath was an eye-witness to the sinking. The masts of the JAMIESON projected from her 80-foot grave and a deep-sea diver attempted to salvage the cargo. The hatches were blasted away, but no coal was recovered.      

The masts were cut away as they were a hazard to shipping, the schooner lies in the ship channel between Kingston and Belleville still used today. She is less than four miles from the wreck of the CITY OF SHEBOYGAN which went down 1915.      
The vessel lay for years forgotten, until Lloyd Shales’ depth recorder, “picked her up” July 31st. Miss Barbara Carson, Jobn Britwhistle and Ronald Hughes helped pinpoint the location, and then all four Aqua Fin Club members went over the side. A brass compass which the 197 ton JAMIESON chartered her way on the lakes for 45 years, was one of the prize relics recovered, along with a steam whistle, lantern, bell, glasses, and crockery.      

Mr. Charles said the hull is well preserved because it lies in an area free from wave action. “The bow is shattered. It appears she dove by the head and broke her bow with the impact on the bottom”.   The WM. JAMIESON was built in Deseronto 1878, by Jamieson. In 1892 she was owned by McClelland & Co, of Whitby. New Decks 1889, Foremast 1890.    

CANVAS & STEAM ON QUINTE WATERS   by Willis Metcalfe      

Schooner WILLIAM JAMIESON. Official Canada No. 75912. Of 143 tons Register. Built at Mill Point, Ont., in 1878. Home port, Whitby, Ont. 100.0 x 25.4 x 8.6 Owned by D. Galbraith, M. O. of Whitby, Ont.      

Chicago Inter-Ocean July 11 1878 #

The schooner WILLIAM JAMIESON, named after her builder, was launched at Mill Point Saturday week. She is of 11,000 bushels capacity.      

Chicago Inter-Ocean July 13, 1878 #

Messrs. Rathbun & Son have just launched a new schooner from their yard at Mill Point. Master Willie Rathbun performed the ceremony of baptism, naming the vessel WILLIAM JAMIESON, in compliment to her builder. Her capacity is 11,000 bushels. Her value $9,500. This is the eighteenth vessel that turned out of this yard since 1871. She is intended for the Bay trade and was built for Captain Hinckley of Kingston.      

Toronto Globe July 8, 1878 #

Messrs. Rathbun & Son have just have launched a new schooner from their yard at Mill Point. Master Willie Rathbun performed the ceremony of baptism, naming the vessel Wm. JAMIESON, in compliment to the builder. Her capacity is 11,000 bushels, her value $9,500. This is the eighteenth vessel turned out of this yard since 1871. She is intended for the bay trade, and was built for Captain Hinckley, of Kingston. 

Powered by BetterDocs

PAGE TOP
error: Content is protected !!