JAMES COUCH

  • Schooner
  • 30ffw 10m
  • 221ft Length
  • Point Pelee Island
  • N 41 47.300  W 82 29.790

Chronological History #

  • 1871 Owned Capt. Thomas L. Parker
  • 1875 Owned Merrill & Steele
  • 1890 Owned Corrigan Bros.; rebuilt as schooner-barge, 979 gross tons, 930 net tons; renamed TASMANIA
  • 1905 Foundered in Lake Erie on October 20

Selection of News Articles for more www.maritimehistoryofthegreatlakes.ca #

Buffalo Evening News 
      October 25, 1905   #

WRECK OF TASMANIA MARKED BY GOVERNMENT. 
Cleveland, Oct. 25. — The wreck of the schooner TASMANIA, east of Pelee Island, Lake Erei, was visited on Sunday by the United States Assistant Engineer William T. Blunt on the United States tug SPEAR. 
The vessel lies on an even keel in 38.5 feet of water, headed west three-quarters south. It is northwest, one-quarter south two and three-quarter miles from Pelee Island Lighthouse. 
      Both masts, with their rigging, are standing and may be easily seen several miles away. The mainmast is shattered at its crosshead. 
      Proper angles were taken so that the vessel can be found readily if the surface marks are destroyed. 

Buffalo Evening News 
      July 19, 1906   #

   WILL BLOW UP WRECK OF SCHOONER TASMANIA.  
Detroit, July 19. — The Midland Towing & Wrecking Company has been given a contract by the Canadian government for blowing up the wreck of the schooner TASMANIA, lost near Middle Ground Light, Lake Erie early this season. 

Merchant Vessel List, U.S., 1892  #

Schooner TASMANIA.* U.S. No. 75598. Of 979 tons gross; 930 tons net. Built 1871 at Port Huron, Mich. Home port, Cleveland, Ohio. 221.0 x 35.0 x 16.0 
* formerly schooner JAMES COUCH. 

Loss of American Vessels Reported During Fiscal Year, 1906  #

Schooner TASMANIA. U.S. No. 75598. Of 979 tons gross. Built 1871. On October 20, 1905 vessel foundered south of Pelee Passage Light, Lake Erie. With 8 persons on board. Eight lives lost.

Powered by BetterDocs

PAGE TOP
error: Content is protected !!