S.M. DOUGLAS C102961

SM DOUGLAS – – Tom Rutledge
  • Sand Sucker
  • 100ft 33m
  • 167ft Length
  • Main Duck Island, Lake Ontario, N 44’01.018 W 76’36.290

Chronological History #

  • 1897 Launched
  • 1897 – Illegally renamed COLONIAL
  • 1899 – Owned Oakville Navigation Company
  • 1900 – Renamed CITY OF DUNKIRK
  • 1901 – Renamed EMPIRE
  • 1903 – Burned Toronto, ON repaired; owned W. W. Paterson, Oakville, ON
  • 1905 – Rebuilt, Cornwall, ON 308 gross/112 net tons; 158.1 x 25.3 x 8.2; owned Oliver Gillespie, Brockville, ONT
  • 1906 – Aug 5 Struck by steamer MUNCY, Buffalo, NY
  • 1906 – Sep 5 Removed from Crystal Beach route, sent to Montreal
  • 1909 – Owned St. Lawrence Canadian Navigation Co., Ltd., Montreal
  • 1916 – Owned A. Cartier, Montreal
  • 1920 – Owned Canada Steamship Lines, Ltd.
  • 1926 – Jan 3 Burned Hamilton, ONT; rebuilt as a barge, John F. Sowards, Kingston, ONT; 160 x 25.33 x 7.42; 224 gross tons
  • 1942 – Out of commission sank Brockville
  • 1950 – Raised rebuilt as sand dredge; 160.5 x 25.33 x 8; 286 gross tons; owned Simpson Sand Co., Ltd., Brockville
  • 1974 – Used a Breakwater Brockville Rowing Club
  • 1981 – Towed to Kingston for disposal
  • 1985 – Nov Scuttled North of Ducks, the DOUGLAS began sinking whilst under tow, en route to deeper water

 

Complete History of the WHITE STAR ship of the Month #

In our Ship of the Month article last month we featured the passenger steamer WHITE STAR and with the help of Lorne Joyce we can now pass along a bit more information. WHITE STAR was built in 1897 at Montreal and in our last issue we stated that the Oakville Navigation Company was her first operator. As it now develops, this was not so. She was not purchased by that firm until 1899, so we are now faced with the problem of not knowing what she did during her first two years of life.

The Oakville Navigation Company was formed in the spring of 1899 when the sum of $25,000 was subscribed by a group of local merchants and fruit growers in order to ensure the existence of a regular steamship service for Oakville. The existing service operated by the steamer GREYHOUND was very unsatisfactory and the ships of the Hamilton Steamboat Company were unable to call at Oakville regularly because of the shallowness of the harbour. The founding group consisted of Allan S. Chisholm, T. C. Hagaman, George Andrew, John McDonald and W. H. Speers. Hedley Shaw of Foulds and Shaw who owned the flour mill at Oakville was named president of the Oakville Navigation Company at its formation. The company bought WHITE STAR, apparently from a St. Lawrence River operator, and placed her on the Oakville service under the command of Capt. William Boyd. Her purser was W. S. Davis who in 1902 became general manager, secretary and treasurer of the company.

Later in his career, Hedley Shaw set up a flour mill at St. Catharines using machinery and materials taken from a dormant mill at Oakville. This was the beginning of the Maple Leaf Milling Company and Hedley Shaw was its founder. Mills were soon set up at Thorold and Welland, and in 1911 the big mill at Port Colborne was opened.

White Star Revisited Toronto Scanner V. 8, n. 3 Dec 1975

2018 Photos by Matthew Charlesworth CC #

The rebuilt WHITE STAR was quite a handsome little steamer. Sporting a single tall funnel and mast, she had a long cabin on the promenade deck but, of course, no overnight accommodation as she was a dayboat only. Her paddle boxes were very elaborately decorated and her pilothouse was a masterpiece of Victorian architecture in wood. A six-sided affair with the front corners chopped off, it carried an ornate name board, not under the windows but rather mounted on the railing above the pilothouse.

2000 Photos by Tom Rutledge CC #

Rebuilt as the motor vessel. SM. DOUGLAS at Brockville, Ont., in 1950 Some of the lake passenger steamers of the late nineteenth century proved to have extraordinarily long lives, many of them lasting, albeit not in their original condition, well into the second half of the present century. One of these was the famous little steamer WHITE STAR whose active career on Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River spanned a period in excess of seventy years.

From the notes of Gerry Ouderkirk #

WHITE STAR – (CITY OF DUNKIRK) – (EMPIRE) – A 229-ton, paddlewheel steamship, built-in 1879 at Montreal and registered there (#103961). She was owned by the Oakville Navigation Co. of which W.H. Speers was a director. She ran regularly from Oakville and Bronte to Toronto and Hamilton. She was sold to Buffalo owners for the 1900 Exposition there and renamed the CITY OF DUNKIRK. After the exposition, she was brought back to Oakville and her old name returned. In 1905 she was owned by Capt. Gilphie, of Cornwall and was named EMPIRE. She was listed in the 1913 American Blue Book as WHITE STAR, 629 tons, 167′, built-in 1897 and rebuilt in 1905 (likely after the collision with the STM. HOSANNA); owned by the St. Lawrence Navigation Co. Ltd. of Montreal.

Historical Photos #

Powered by BetterDocs

PAGE TOP
error: Content is protected !!