Table of Contents
  • 2 Barges & Timber Dock
  • 10ffw 3m
  • Lengths
  • Rose Bay, St. Lawrence River

History #

These barges were owned by Stewart Sill of Sodus, NY. They were used to carry fill for the 1000 Island Bridge and for Boldt Castle [extending the island to make it heart-shaped.]

Sinking the barges was a typical form of winterizing barges. Mr. Sill lost the contract for carrying the cement for the buoys, so he left the barges in Rose Bay. Then he closed his business & never recovered the barges.

The submerged circular cribs off the Beadles Point and the submerged dock near Palmer’s Court were used by the local farmers [Dodge’s, Mason’s, etc] in the late 1920s and early 1930s for the Hay Trade.

From the US Corps of Engineers 1959 Still in Operation it seems

Rose Bay Barges by Exploring with Daniel Gildea

Powered by BetterDocs

PAGE TOP
error: Content is protected !!