Also known as MARY VIRGINIA PHILLIPS HAROLD B
Site Description #
Buoyed with white boat fender marker buoy only do not moor to the line. Anchor off the site.From the 1932 Signal Star
“The tug Phillips, after being stripped of her boilers, engine and all metal trimmings, was sent to the ‘boneyard’ on Tuesday morning. She was beached just below the Sunset Hotel, where the Abercorn, Scobia, Olga, Tecumseth and other vessels have found a last resting place. The Phillips was built in 1882 and last spring, after sinking in the harbor, was raised. Her pilot house was removed and now rests on the north pier.”
- Tug Boat
- 22ffw 6m
- 1000ft Distance
- Rotary Beach, Goderich ON
- Lake Huron
- 1880, Jun 9 Enrolled Cleveland, OH.
- 1880, Nov New set whistles.
- 1883 Renamed MARY VIRGINIA.
- 1887, Jun 14 Enrolled Port Huron; sold by Robert Greenbargh to B.B. Inman, Duluth, MN.
- 1890, Jun 30 Owned S. Wayne & Jay Harstey, Sault Ste. Marie, MI.
- 1897 Reboilered, firebox 6 x 11′ @ 140# steam by Wickes Brothers, Saginaw.
- 1899 Owned Thompson Towing, Port Huron, MI.
- 1903 Owned Harold B. Phillips, Sarnia, ONT; C96857; 59 x 16 x 8′; 66 gross / 31 net tons.
- 1930 Owned C.S. Boone Dredge & Construction Co., Tornoto, ONT; home port Sarnia.
- 1932 Scuttled Boneyard, Sarnia ON, Lake Huron
Various Historical Articles
- Year of Build: 1880 Official Number: 85620
- Built at:nLorain, OH Vessel Type: Tug (Towboat) Hull Materials: Wood
- Builder Name: Henry D. Root
- Engine Type: High Pressure (including HPNC)# Cylinders:2# Boilers:1Propulsion Notes:(2) 14 x 16″ engines, 425 hp @ 150 rpm by Burton, Cleveland, OH, 1880
- Length: 59.8’ Beam: 15.7’ Depth:7.7’ Tonnage (gross):32.83 Tonnage (net):16.42