• Propeller
  • 195ffw 66m
  • 250ft Length
  • Long Point, Lake Erie
  • 42 33.78179 54 696

Chronological History #

  • 1874 July 18 Launched at Cleveland as the largest bulk freighter to date, built for Lake Superior trade
  • 1874 August On maiden trip carried largest cargo out of Marquette, 
  • 1,316 gross tons iron ore to Cleveland
  • 1874 November Brought to Buffalo largest cargo wheat, 63,194 bushels
  • 1875 May Loaded 83,883 bushels grain at Milwaukee for Buffalo
  • 1875 Aug Burnt and Sank
  • 1875 September 30 Documents surrendered, “vessel wrecked”

The Toronto Globe 
      Thursday, September 2, 1875  #

      (From the Cleveland Herald, Aug. 30)  #

The following is the protest of Captain Flint, and some of his officers, as made and sworn to on their arrival at this port last Saturday, as taken by Mr. B.L. Pennington, which tells the whole story, and leaves nothing to add. 
      Left Chicago on the 22d day of August, bound for the port of Buffalo, New York, weather fine with South East wind and continued fair through the trip as far as it was made. On Thursday, 26th. inst., at 9:30 o’clock P. M., a fire was discovered by the mate and watchman, who were on deck forward. It burst out through the upper deck, over the boilers, on the port side. They raised the cry of fire immediately, bringing all hands on deck. The fire seemed to have commenced in or near the coal bunkers. The first engineer, who was on duty, at the cry of fire stopped the engines and then started the pony, which failed to work. Ho could not get the valve open on account of the great heat from the fire. It increased rapidly, bursting through into the engine-room, driving him on deck. Orders were given and the helm put hard-a-port in order to bring her head to the wind to keep the fire aft as much as possible. We attempted to get to the pony, to get the hose to work, but the fire was so hot and increased so rapidly that we found it impossible. We rigged the forward pump, but the hose was too short for the water to reach the fire. It was now about half past 10 P. M. We saw it was impossible to save the barge, the flames increasing with great fury and driving us forward. We then saw our only chance was to save ourselves. The boats all being burned, nothing remained but the hatches to save ourselves upon. Sixteen pieces were thrown overboard, on which were saved the crew of sixteen persons and three passengers. After floating on the hatches until 12 o’clock (midnight) we were rescued by the boat of the schooner MONTANA, which picked up 13 of us. The tug MERRICK seeing the burning craft left her tow and came to our rescue, arriving about the same time. She picked up the remainder of the crew and took off the others from the boat, when we all returned to the barge to see if there was any possible chance of saving her. We found there was no chance of doing anything. The upper deck was all burned away to the foremast, and the corn between decks was all afire. We then attempted to save what we could from the wreck. We secured from her pilot house and texas her compasses, bedding, &c. About the time we were ready to leave the propeller EMPIRE STATE came alongside. She took us all on board from the tug, then asked the captain if he thought he could do anything for her, and he said ” I will try.” He got his pumps and hose to work, and played on her, we going on board with the hose, and working it on the fire to the best advantage; we also used the barge’s forward pump and hose, but it all did no good that we could see. The fire increased constantly. We then got a line to her and tried to tow her on Long Point, but could not tow her at all. She would go first one way then the other, and turn the propeller right around. We worked at her for about two and a half hours, when we found that we had made no progress. The fire now burst out in the pilot house and Texas with so much heat that we had to abandon her altogether, our line burning off close to the boat. We then gave up all hope of saving any part of the wreck. Tried to get the captain of the EMPIRE STATE to remain until she sank, but he said he had a big load of passengers on board, and could do nothing for her anyway. He left with us about half past two o’clock A. M. (27th.) the hull still above water, but burning and settling fast. The propeller brought us to Point Au Pelee and put us on board the barge ANNA SMITH, which brought us to Cleveland, where we arrived about 3 A. M. o’clock, of this date, August 28th.

 Signed by Samuel L. Flint, Master – Thos. Casey, First Mate – Thos. Davis, first engineer – James Love, second engineer – John Evans, watchman. 

Account from Crew

The Detroit Tribune of Saturday evening says: #

The EMPIRE STATE sighted the burning steamer at 10:30, and reached her about an hour later. Captain Wright made a determined effort to save the PERSIAN, pouring three streams of water on her for over two hours, but without avail. An attempt was then made to beach her near Long Point, and she was towed about two miles shorewards, she was scuttled forward by First Mate, Thos. Casey and left to her fate. The EMPIRE STATE parted company with her at 2 A. M. Friday, and soon after the masts of the PERSIAN fell, one after another. The passengers on the EMPIRE STATE say the burning ship, when her rigging was ablaze, was a beautiful sight. 

The Toronto Globe 
      Friday, Friday, September 3, 1875   #

      The steamer PERSIAN, which was recently destroyed, went down into about 30 fathoms of water and lies about 8 miles from the Point. Her hull was not insured, and it is not known whether it will be saved, as only a thorough examination can determine that point. The location has been visited by Capt. McKenna, Marine Inspector of the Orient Insurance Company, states that there is a possibility of saving the hull. 

Meaford Monitor 
      Friday, September 3, 1875  #

The propeller PERSIAN, the second largest on the lakes, and built at a cost of $125,000 was burnt and sunk off Long Point, Lake Michigan, (sic.) on Friday. The crew was saved by floating on the hatches. She had over 60,000 bushels of grain on board.

The Toronto Globe 
      Saturday, September 11, 1875 #

The Winslows have not decided whether they will raise the boilers and engine of the PERSIAN or not. 

Powered by BetterDocs

error: Content is protected !!