NIAGARA II C155286

Imperial Lachine (1947); Niagara; W.M. Edington; Niagara; Rideaulite (1930)

Site Description

  • Sand Sucker
  • 100ffw 33m
  • 182ft Length
  • Tobermory, Lake Huron
  • N 45 15.052  W 081 36.030

Chronological History #

  • 1930 Owned Imperial Oil Co
  • 1947 Renamed IMPERIAL LACHINE
  • 1954 Owned Holden Sand & Gravel Ltd; converted to self-unloading sand dredge; renamed NIAGARA
  • 1968 Owned McNamara Marine Ltd
  • 1969 Owned Federal Equipment Quebec Ltd
  • 1969 Owned Ontario-Lake Eire Sand Ltd; renamed W.M. EDINGTON
  • 1972 Repowered with 1 diesel, 12 cylinders, 635 hp, engine by Caterpillar Tractor Co
  • 1984 Owned McKeil Marine Ltd; renamed NIAGARA II
  • 1990 Converted to barge
  • 1999 Sank as a dive site off Tobermory, ONT

On May 15, 1999, the former freighter and sand dredge Niagara II was scuttled to provide a new dive site. This vessel was sunk just outside the boundaries of Fathom Five National Marine Park by the Tobermory Maritime Association. The ship sits upright, with all doors and hatches removed for diver safety.

Mills Listing #

  • Year of Build: 1930 Official Number: 155286
  • Built at: Haverton Hill
  • POWER Propulsion: Screw
  • Tonnage (gross):716
  • First Rebuild: Official Number: 155286 Propulsion: Screw
  • Dimensions: 175 x 32 — 769 tons
  • Rebuilt: Toronto, Ontario, Canada in 1954

Toronto Drydock Ltd., for Holden Sand and Gravel Co. – later absorbed by McNamara Marine Ltd., Toronto.

Video by Dmitri Maximovich #

Related Links #

Niagara II – Vlada Dekina

Niagara II – Warren Lo Photography

Powered by BetterDocs

PAGE TOP
error: Content is protected !!