- 67ft Length
- Clayton, New York St. Lawrence River
- 1889 – Built and used to haul coal.
- 1892 – Owned A. Laroche & Co., Kingston; listed as a scow.
- 1902 – Owned Richard LaRush, Kingston, ON
- 1929 – Oct 31 Struck & sunk Clayton, NY in shipping lane; St. Lawrence River. Struck by freighter KEYSTONE force of collision sheared off 14′ of the bow; sank; traveling between Bath, ON to Clayton to pick up coal; masts were blown off by Corps of Engineers.
Canadian Ship Registry Id: 799 #
- Name: MAGGIE L.
- Location: KINGSTON, ONTARIO, CANADA
- Registration: 10/1889
- Date Registered: 1889/09/24
- Official Number: 96902
- Built At: PICTON, ONTARIO, CANADA
- Data Built: 1889
- Length: 67.00 Beam: 17.40 Depth: 5.20
- Gross: 49.20 Net:: 42.13 Deck: ONE
- Type: CARVEL Stern: SQUARE
- Gallery: NONE Frame: WOOD
- Propulsion: SAILING SHIP Number of Masts: TWO Type of Rig: SCHOONER
- Date of Reason Closed: 1929/11/01
- Reason Closed: SUNK IN COLLISION WITH THE “KEYSTATE”
- Place Closed: OPPOSITE CLAYTON, NEW YORK, U.S.A.
Source of Data: N.A.C., RG-42, C-2473, VOL. 233
Selection of Historical Articles #
Oswego Palladium-Times (Oswego, NY), July 18, 1928 #
Only Two Lake Schooners Now Left on Lake Ontario
Davis and Merrill Last of Big Fleet That Operated Years Ago
Is the day of the sailing vessel past? The answer to the question is made quite clear by merely taking along the Kingston waterfront, says the Kingston Whig. The steamer entering into the River St. Lawrence from Lake Ontario on her way to Montreal, with a cargo of grain from the Upper Lakes, or tied at one of the docks, discharging a cargo, and even the motorboats which daily make trips to the many island nearby, or the more luxuriant launches which carry pleasure seeks on excursions among the Thousand Islands, or for a cruise up the lakes, loudly proclaim that before the onward march of time and commerce, bringing along faster and more economical means of transportation on the water, the sailing vessel is doomed, and at the very present time is seriously threatened with extinction, in a matter of a few years.
Just Two Left.
Kingston harbor, which witnessed the arrival of the first white man’s sailing vessel into the waters of Lake Ontario, seems also decreed to witness the last departure, as out of the dozens of vessels which at one time thronged these waters, only two are now in operation, and these are the schooner LYMAN M. DAVIS and the schooner JULIA E. MERRILL. The schooner MARY A. DARYAW was also in the list until last year when she went out of commission.
The schooner LYMAN M. DAVIS is owned by a Kingston man, Capt. Henry Daryaw, who started sailing about 30 years ago, and received his captain’s papers in the year 1900. He owned and sailed the schooner Jamieson the year that he received his papers, sailed and owned the schooner Lizzie Metzner for five years, sailed the schooner J. B. Kitchen one year for James Richardson & Sons, Kingston; owned and sailed the schooner Horace Taber for five years, and sailed the schooner Julia B. Merrill, which went out of commission last fall, and now owns and sails the Lyman M. Davis, which is used in the coal trade between Kingston and Oswego.
Fore and Aft Schooner.
The Lyman M. Davis is the type of vessel known as a “fore and aft schooner,” and was built at Muskegon, Mich. , by J. P. Arnold in the year 1873, and owned by William Munroe. . Her sails consist of a flying jib, jib topsail, standing jib, staysail, foresail, foregaff, topsail, mainsail, main gaff, topsail, making a total of eight sails upon two masts, the foremost with a height of 65 feet, topmast 60 feet, and the mainmast, height, 70 feet, topmast, 65 feet. She is 123 fee long with a beam of 27 feet, 2 inches; depth 20 feet 6 inches, and a draft, 11 feet. Her tonnage is gross, 195 tons, net, 185 tons, and she carries a crew of five men.
This vessel was owned from the time she was built until 1913 by William Munroe, when she was sold to Graham Bros. of Kincardine, who made her over to a British register. In 1919 it was sold by the Kincardine owners to Capt. John McCullough and C. H. Spencer, Napanee, and up to that time had never carried a cargo of coal, as she had always been in the lumber trade, but when the vessel was brought to Lake Ontario she entered into the coal trade and last fall was purchased by the present owner.
The Lyman M. Davis was rebuilt in 1912, and it is estimated that she will give a few years service yet, as she is still in good condition.
The other schooner which is still in operation on Lake Ontario is the Julia B. Merrill, which was in the lumber trade on Lake Michigan until purchased by Capt. Henry Daryaw, Kingston, who brought her to Lake Ontario and used her in the coal carrying trade for five years, and also carried feldspar to Charlotte, N. Y. She is now owned by W. H. Peacock & Co. of Port Hope, and is used for the coal carrying trade. This vessel is also a “fore and after” and carries the same sails as the Lyman M. Davis, but on three masts – foremast, height 60 feet; topmast, 55 feet; mizzenmast, height 55 feet; topmast, 50 feet. She has a length of 152 feet, width 27 feet, depth 8 feet 5 inches, has a tonnage of 200 tons and has carried 400 tons of coal. She also has a crew of five men.
These two sailing vessels and two sloops, Maggie L. and Granger, owned by Captain George and Arthur Sudds, Kingston, are the only ones now in operation for transportation purposes on Lake Ontario, so it is quite evident that as the horse had to make way for the automobile on the land, so must the old-fashioned sailing vessels make way for the faster and more economical means of transportation on the water.
Place and Builder: Picton ON by Redmond Ship Builders
Year Built: 1889
Buffalo Evening News November 11-0 1890 #
Schooner MAGGIE L., lumber laden for Dexter, N. Y., is ashore at Snake Island, says a Kingston dispatch
Schooner Days Mentions by CHJ Synder – Toronto Telegraph #
The Annie Minnes and the Picton were among the larger barley loaders in Hay Bay at various times, and the Maggie L., John Wesley, Sea Bird, Laura D., Idlewild, Granger, Greyhound, Ariadne, Moravian and Ilya were smaller, some sloops, some schooners, and all scows and well adapted for loading with their noses on the bank. Both Two Brothers, (for there was a pair of them, the Redmond’s scow and Nate McCrimmon’s schooner) loaded here. The wharves were farmers’ stages, and the warehouses, including old Hay Bay Chapel, barns or sheds. In the fall, steam barges like the Resolute or side-wheelers, like the Hero or Varuna, might tow in larger schooners like the Dave Andrews or Delaware, as she was afterwards known, to load apples barreled beneath the bending trees.
hen there were the small fry of from 100 tons down to 30, or a bare 1,000 bushels, like the schooner-scows Two Brothers of Picton, the Maggie L. and Laura D. of Kingston, the John Wesley that they nicknamed the Punchy, and the Madcap and the Idlewyld and the scow sloops like the Gull and the Granger and perhaps the Trent and her two sisters brought up from Quebec, although these specialized in the bunchwood trade. The other would load baled hay or grain or apples from whatever wharf had them, or even from the banks of the Bay fields, for their light draft and flat bottoms allowed them to moor to the trees. Their market was Kingston, the Richardson elevators there or the Montreal Transportation Company’s barges for down the Saint Lawrence.