\Dimensions: 88.5 ft x 20ft x 7ft Type of Wreck: Schooner

Oswego Daily Advertiser & Times (Oswego, NY), Mon., Nov. 22, 1869

Abandoned Schooner. – Yesterday forenoon the schooner Mary O’Gorman was seen drifting past this port dismasted and apparently abandoned. Along in the forenoon, O. H. Brown, Esq., got a couple of tugs and went out in search of the vessel, which was found about nine miles below the piers, and three or four miles from shore in twenty fathoms water, holding by her anchor. Her foremast was gone, and also her boat. Mr. Brown and three men with him boarded her, and found the cabin door locked and appearances all indicating the crew had abandoned her. We learn that the boat has come ashore, bottom up, about a mile above here, and hence it is presumed her crew is lost. Not having enough help to weigh her anchors, they were obliged to leave then, but the vessel was brought back to this port, where she now lies. The Mary O’Gorman had between 7,000 and 8,000 bushels of barley for C. Ames & Co., which seems to be in good condition. The vessel was owned in Kingston, Ont., and both bottom and cargo are insured.

Port of Kingston Register Number 9 of 1867 #

Name………………M.O. GORMAN Type………………Schooner Tonnage……………107 Tons When Built…………1867 Where Built………..Barriefield, Kingston Present Master……..L.MacEvoy? Home Port………….Kingston Builders Name………Wm.LaChappelle Certificate date……July 26, 1867 Length……………… 88 feet & 5/10ths Breadth…………… 20 feet Depth of hold………7 feet & 3/10ths. at amidships Masts…………… Two Stern……………. Square Bowsprit…………Standing Figure-head…….None How built………..Carvel How rigged……..Schooner Decks…………… One Subscribing Owners: Micheal O. Gorman & Wm. La Chappelle sole owners, sold to John Fraser & Fredrick George, both of Kingston, dated Sept. 28, 1868. They sold to John Savage of Kingston, dated July 28, 1869, on his death vessel sold to John Yott of Wolfe Island dated Feb. 5, 1870. Owned by Annie B. Malone, of Kingston and G.F. Cleveland and F. Elliot, dated Aug. 25, 1882

NOTATIONS Vessel was totally destroyed by fire, in the Harbour of Kingston, on the night of January 22, 1884. Certificate handed up. Register Closed 1868, Sep 28 Owned John Fraser & Frederick J. George, Kingston. 1869, Jul 28 Owned John Savage, Kingston. 1869, Nov Found dismasted & abandoned, Oswego, NY; crew lost. 1870, Feb 5 Owned John Yott, Wolfe Island, ONT. 1871, Fall Ashore near Oak Orchard, Lake Ontario. 1872, May Repaired. 1882, Aug 25 Owned Annie B. Malone et al, Kingston.

1883, Sep Collided with barge & sank, Portsmouth, ONT, Lake Ontario. 1884, Jan 22 Burned.

Powered by BetterDocs

PAGE TOP
error: Content is protected !!