- Site Description
- Chronological History
- Selected Articles (for more visit www.maritimehistoryofthegreatlakes.ca)
- Casualty List for 1874 Chicago Inter-Ocean, Dec. 25, 1874
- List of Vessels on the Registry Books of the Dominion of Canada on December 31, 1886
Site Description #
- Schooner Barge
- 136f Length
- Garden Island
- 44¯12.018’N 76¯27.471’W
Dimensions: 136.9 x 25.6 x 11 352 GT 305 NT
Chronological History #
- 1866 Built Dexter D. Calvin & Breck, Kingston ON
- 1867 Launch Garden Island ON
- 1871 Grounded Rondeau Point Lake Erie ON by US Revenue Cutter SHERMAN.
- 1873 Owned John Fraser Kingston ON
- 1874 De-masted Lake Huron
- 1878 Owned E.A. Booth Garden Island, ON
- 1879 Owned Calvin & Breck Kingston.
- 1887 May 20 Stranded Simmon’s reef Lake Huron, St. Ignace released by tug SAUGATUCK.
- 1890 Towed by D.D. CALVIN Cheboygan – Garden Island.
Selected Articles (for more visit www.maritimehistoryofthegreatlakes.ca) #
Marine Disasters of the Western Lakes during 1871, Capt. J.W. Hall #
Schooner DENMARK, ashore at Rond Eau; released by Revenue steamer GENERAL SHERMAN.
Buffalo Commercial Advertiser June 30, 1871 3-5 #
The captain of the Canadian schooner DENMARK was in this city yesterday to get assistance to go to the relief of his vessel which had been ashore at Eau Pt. since Friday night. She is timber laden and so far has sustained no damage. She was built in 1866, rated A1, and is owned by Calvin and Breck of Garden Island, Lake Ontario. – Detroit Post
Buffalo Commercial Advertiser Friday, July 7, 1871 #
AFLOAT. – The schooner DENMARK, ashore at Rondeau, has been delivered from her perilous condition.
Casualty List for 1874 Chicago Inter-Ocean, Dec. 25, 1874 #
Schooner DENMARK, dismasted on Lake Huron, September 1874. Property loss $500
List of Vessels on the Registry Books of the Dominion of Canada on December 31, 1886 #
Schooner DENMARK. Official Canada No. 72579. Of 305 tons reg. Built Garden Island, Ont., 1867. Home port, Kingston, Ont. 134,8 x 25.6 x 10.9 Owned by D.D. Calvin, of Garden Island, Ont.