CARRIER river barge. 1862-1864. 143.54 tons register, 93.33’. Capacity 11,000 bushels. Built in 1862 by P. Coulter (in some sources shown as J.B. Auger) at Montreal. No masts. Round stern. 1863 rated 1 out of a possible 3, 1864 rated A. Valued at $2,500 both years.
J. & H. McLennan owned CARRIER in 1862-64. She was rebuilt in 1870. In 1870-77 she was owned by St. Lawrence & Chicago Forwarding (Coulthurst & McPhee) and was mentioned as carrying coal from Montreal to Kingston for the gas company. Her last owner was Geo. Chaffey. She sank in St. Lawrence and her registry was closed on 9 March 1880.
Alpena Public Library Great Lakes Maritime Database; Association of Canadian La Underwriters Marine Register 1874; Bush Commercial Navigation of the Rideau Canal; Canada List of Shipping 1877; Canadian Heritage Ship Information Database; Marine Museum of the Great Lakes Canadian Ship Registers on line; Mills Barges and Scows Before 1890; Thomas Register of the Ships of the Lakes and river St. Lawrence 1864; Kingston Daily News 13 July 1869, 27 June and 19 December 1870, 13 May, 17 July and 2 September 1873, 21 May 1872.