The BOTHNIA was built as the Canadian steamer JACK. After sending the steamer NORMAN to the bottom, the JACK went into Alpena for repairs. A U.S. Marshal went to seize the JACK, to give it to the owners of the NORMAN as compensation, but the JACK’s owners had other ideas. They decided to flee the American authorities, run the steamer down St. Lawrence, and use it on off-lakes. The marshal got there just in time to see the JACK steaming over the horizon. The marshal chased the JACK down Lake Huron, the St. Clair River, and into Lake St. Clair, where the JACK was compelled to cross into American waters, and where it was boarded and seized.
The JACKs’ new owners renamed it the BOTHNIA. It came to rest under 50 feet of the St. Clair Flats in 1912, due to another collision, not far from the place where the marshals seized it years before.