ISLE ROYALE from Tom's blog

On 26 July 1885, ISLE ROYALE (wooden propeller passenger/package freight vessel, 92 foot, 92 gross tons, built-in 1879) sprang a leak near Susick Island near Isle Royale on Lake Superior. She sank but her passengers and crew made it to the island. She was owned by Cooley, Lavague & Company of Duluth. She was originally built as the barge AGNES. 


Registry and Rig Information

  • Vessel Name: AGNES
  • Nationality: U.S.
  • Official Number: 29909
  • Rig: Barge

Dimensions and Tonnage

  • Length: 91.66
  • Width: 18.16
  • Depth: 6.75
  • Masts: 0
  • Gross Tonnage: 55.00
  • Net Tonnage: 0.00
  • Hull Material: Wood
  • Hull Number:

Vessel History

  • Rebuilds: Converted to propeller by Dunford and Alverson, Port Huron, MI in 1881 (85 x 17 x 8; 91 gross - 64 net).
  • History: First enrolled at Port Huron, MI, on October 8, 1879. Master Carpenter was John A. Wansey.
  • Disposition: Sprung a leak and sank off Susie Island, Isle Royale, Lake Superior on July 26, 1885, with no loss of life.

Build Information

  • Builder: Alexander Anderson
  • Place Built: Marine City, MI
  • Year Built: 1879

Share:
Previous post     
     Next post
     Blog home

The Wall

No comments
You need to sign in to comment